On Thursday, Abu Mohammed Ibn Abdulazeez, who doubles as the second-in-command for the group, Jama’atul Ahlis Sunnah Lidda’awati Wal Jihad also known as Boko Haram had a tele-conference with journalists in Maiduguri.
Speaking on behalf of his sect, Abdulazeez said Boko Haram was now willing to cease fire and stop all atrocities being perpetrated by their group and work against other existing groups if the State and Federal Government will truly heed to their demands:
1. If the federal government wants Boko Haram to seize fire completely, then former Borno state governor, Ali Modu Sheriff must be arrested and prosecuted according to the law of the land.
2. Government should compensate the group and rebuild their places of worship which were destroyed during 2009 uprising.
3. All their members who were arrested and are under the custody of security agencies must be released with immediate effect. All their wives who were displaced following the crises as well as their children must be rehabilitated into the society to create room for a fruitful dialogue with the Federal Government.
4. The dialogue with Federal Government MUST be through the following elders/mediators: Dr. Shettima Ali Monguno, Former Head of State General Muhammadu Buhari, former Yobe State Governor, Bukar Abba Ibrahim, Ambassador Gaji Galtimari and Barr Aisha Alkali Wakil and her husband, Barr, Alkali Wakil.
5. The dialogue must not take place in Nigeria but Saudi Arabia, because, according to him, the government of Nigeria is not sincere for dialogue due to its betrayal in the past.
6. Five members of Boko Haram are to mediate on behalf of their sect, which include himself; Abu Mohammed Abdulazeez, Abu Abbas, Sheikh Ibrahim Yusuf, Sheikh Sani Kontogora and Mamman Nur.
While speaking on the series of killings and wanton destruction of property that took over Maiduguri recently, Abu Abdulazeez disassociated the group from the it, pointing out that such attacks were politically motivated by those seeking for power in the Borno Emirate council, government or otherwise, but not in line with the ideology of the sect who are fighting for the cause of Allah.
He also said that,the burning of old and newly constructed primary schools witnessed across the state were not masterminded by the sect, insisting that the burning of such places were carried out by aggrieved politicians who were denied contracts from the state government.