It was not clear how the two girls died, but three parents, a resident and a local government official told Reuters that at least 13 students might still be missing.
Earlier on Wednesday, sources told Reuters that 91 people were unaccounted for after a roll-call at their school on Tuesday. Babagana Umar, one of the parents whose daughter had disappeared said,
“Everybody is celebrating their coming with songs and praises to God almighty. The only sad news is that two girls were dead and no explanation.”
The rescued girls were returned to the village of Dapchi late on Wednesday, after Islamist insurgent group Boko Haram attacked Dapchi in the north-eastern state of Yobe on Monday evening.
Police and state officials said on Wednesday there was no evidence the girls had been abducted, though the Yobe government later said in a statement the military had rescued some of the students from Boko Haram.
Nigerian authorities often deny or downplay such incidents, including the Chibok girl kidnapping and more recent abductions, as well as the scale of Boko Haram attacks in the north-east.
Parents and witnesses who told Reuters of the missing students spoke on condition of anonymity because they said they had been warned by Nigerian security and government officials not to disclose the disappearance.
President Muhammadu Buhari sent his foreign and defence ministers to Yobe on Wednesday to investigate the situation, said information minister Lai Mohammed, who was also headed there. He declined to confirm whether any of the students were missing.
Source: The Guardian