The assailants, numbering about 20, stormed the sleeping town around 8 p.m and unleashed terror on the residents.
After the onslaught, one person died instantly, while four others that sustained gunshots and machete wounds were taken to the hospital in a police vehicle.
The deceased, Lekan Arosanyin, 36, a tailor, left behind aged parents, wife and four children.
Those taken to the hospital were Mrs. Seke Shittu, Ayo Abejide, Saka Lawal and Mr. Olomi Ibiteye.
Ibiteye, whom an eye witness said, had his stomach ripped open by a bullet, later died in the hospital on Saturday.
Shittu, a trader, said the assailants collected N45,000 from her and also carted away recharge cards and stocks from her store. She said,
“I am happy I didn’t die from the attack. They wanted to attack my children and others with me. It was while covering them that I received machete cuts.
They were shouting, ‘Madam bring me money. Madam bring me money.’ I thank God they didn’t shoot me.”
A resident who spoke on condition of anonymity said,
“The police post in the town was removed five years ago when a policeman was killed by the Fulani herdsmen during a confrontation. Since then, we have been left to our fate.
“This is a bad development. People are leaving the town in droves. Some are even packing their belongings because of the fear that they could stage more ferocious attacks.
“We have been co-habiting peacefully with Fulani herdsmen for long. We didn’t know when things went awry. The security agencies must rise to the occasion. This is a serious threat to Ekiti.”
“We won’t allow strangers to destroy our lives and properties at will. This is a sad development that we must tackle to ensure justice and peace reign in the state.”
Ekiti State Deputy Governor, Dr. Kolapo Olusola, who visited the town in company with the Commissioner of Police, Etop James, on Saturday, said the state government would take all necessary steps to avoid reoccurrence.